Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Mei Hua (plum flower) song and painting

Mei Hua (Plum Blossom)
The photo shows a painting of a plum blossom that was gifted to me during my visit to Taiwan. This plum blossom as painted was meant to resemble me.  The symbolism of this flower is very important in China.  There is a famous song called the Mei Hua Song.  I provide a link to a video featuring the song for a better understanding of its meaning http://en.gloria.tv/?media=101271.  The song is in Chinese in the video but the photos and sets demonstrate the meaning and beauty of the flower. When I was in Taiwan circa 1977 I became friendly with a young African American who had become famous at the time by singing this song on Taiwanese television.  I was pleased as well to receive this gift of my image in the form of the plum flower made so beautiful in this work of art - a wonderful memento of the Chinese spirit as encountered in my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment